CPT Lab Assistant IIJob ID R-38479 Date Posted 05/25/2023 Location Burlingame, California
We are so glad you are interested in joining Sutter Health!
Organization:MPHS-Mills-Peninsula Medical Center
Position Overview:Collects blood specimens, as well as receives, handles and processes specimens for Laboratory testing. Interacts with patients of diverse ages, backgrounds, values, beliefs and behavior. Receives, sorts and accessions specimens, assigning to appropriate pre-analytic and analytic workflow. Completes computerized tasks related to patient registration and/or test order entry, specimen collection, receiving and processing. Performs basic post-analytic tasks, including distributing reports, storing and/or retrieving specimens. Completes quality-related tasks such as documentation of work, maintaining a clean, stocked and safe work area, and monitoring pending work, as well as escalating priority work. Operates and/or uses basic pre-analytic lab equipment. Adheres to all local/state/federal regulations, codes, policies and procedures to ensure privacy and safety while delivering optimal patient care.
Laboratory Workflow: Pre-Analytic
• Performs Certified Phlebotomy Tech (CPT) duties; collects blood specimens for a variety of Laboratory tests using age-appropriate techniques; handles/transports Lab specimens and provides post-phlebotomy care to patients.
• Completes computerized tasks as appropriate for affiliates to ensure complete patient registration and/or test order entry into the lab information system, as well as generation of collection lists and/or labels.
• Receives specimens for testing; assesses specimens upon receipt according to established criteria to determine acceptability; takes action according to protocol including escalating to licensed or certified personnel for direction
• Handles and processes a variety of specimen types to prepare them for analysis; adheres to protocols to maintain specimen integrity at all times. Processing specimens includes such tasks as sorting, centrifuging, Ali,quoting, decanting, racking, storing, and loading an auto-processor or automated line
• Prepares and/or packages specimens for transport to another Sutter or outside reference laboratory and may complete computer steps necessary for the processing of referred specimens, such as compiling tracking lists.
• May load specimens onto automated "walk-away"" analyzers
Laboratory Workflow: Post-Analytic
• Verbally communicates released/reported results
• Routes, distribute,s and retransmits released/reported results
• Stores and retrieves specimens
• Maintains an adequate inventory of supplies in the work area and/or on the phlebotomy cart
• Maintains required records by completing basic documentation of pre-analytic and post-analytic work, as well as quality-related tasks
• Maintains an organized and safe w,ork space; completes required cleaning/decontamination procedures and properly disposes of waste
• Operates and/or uses basic pre-analytic lab equipment (e.g. phone, computer, centrifuge, refrigerator, pipette, incubator, pneumatic tube system, auto-processor); escalates according to protocol when equipment is malfunctioning
• Remains knowledgeable of, and adheres to, Sutter and departmental policies, processes,s and procedures
• Participates in managing the laboratory workflow by performing duties such as monitoring pending work,
escalating priority work, locating specimens, and coordinating specimen recollections.
• Receives incoming calls for the laboratory and assists the caller as appropriate or transfers these calls to the appropriate laboratory section or person
• Communicates with the customer (e.g. ordering provider, physician office staff,for nursing personnel) to clarify ambiguous, unclear,r or duplicate test orders
• Interacts with patients consistent with the role of a CPT and according to affiliate-specific practices and aligned with the Sutter Values
Equivalent experience will be accepted instead of the required degree or diploma.
HS Diploma: High School or General Education Diploma (GED) or equivalent education/experience
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE
CPTI-Certified Phlebotomy Technician I
DEPARTMENT-REQUIRED CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE
Affiliate: Sutter Coast Hospital, Department: Lab, CPTII-Certified Phlebotomy Technician II
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AS TYPICALLY ACQUIRED IN:
1 year of basic clinical laboratory and phlebotomy experience as typically acquired in a similar environment.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Knowledge and practice of standard principles, processes, procedures, and equipment related to:
1) ordering Laboratory testing,
2) collecting blood specimens,
3) compassionately and effectively interacting with patients,
4) handling and processing biological specimens routinely submitted to the Laboratory for analysis.
Ability to accurately, precisely, and reliably perform job duties and assigned tasks.
Ability to organize and prioritize job duties and assigned tasks for completion within expected timeframes.
Ability to compassionately and effectively interact with patients of diverse ages, backgrounds, values, beliefs and behaviors.
Workflow Management Ability to appropriately respond to:
1) fluctuations in volume,
2) unexpected situations or problems such as equipment or IS failure,
3) shift-to-shift hand-offs,
4) STAT test orders,
5) specimen integrity issues,
6) regular review of pending logs, priority assignments, etc.
Adherence to Practices & Procedures:
1) Ability to follow standard practices, processes, and procedures in sequence.
2) Knowledge of applicable local/state/federal regulations, codes, policies, and procedures aimed at ensuring the privacy and safety of patients.
Applied Job Knowledge, Critical Thinking & Problem Solving:
1) Solid critical thinking in applying knowledge and decision-making.
2) Knowledge of and ability to recognize and appropriately escalate complex and unusual deviations, problems, unusual occurrences and unexpected outcomes.
Effective verbal and written communication skills.
Ability to work in a collaborative setting where the communication of current, factual, and relevant work information is required. Pay Range: 32.22-40.26
The salary range for this role may vary above or below the posted range as determined by location. This range has not been adjusted for any specific geographic differential applicable by area where the position may be filled. Compensation takes into account several factors including but not limited to a candidate’s experience, education, skills, licensure and certifications, department equity, training and organizational needs. Base pay is just one piece of the total rewards program offered by Sutter Health. Eligible roles also qualify for a comprehensive benefits package.
Days of the Week:Friday, Monday, Thursday, Tuesday, Wednesday
Weekend Requirements:Every other Weekend
Number of Openings:1
Sutter Health is an equal opportunity employer EOE/M/F/Disability/Veterans.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, registered domestic partner status, sex, gender, gender identity, or expression, ancestry, national origin, age, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military or protected veteran status, political affiliation, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, genetic information or any other characteristic made unlawful by local, state, or federal law, ordinance or regulation. External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state, and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.